Friday, September 15, 2006

to kyoto, shikoku, and back to tokyo






I have been on a 'trip' now in Japan. It was lots of fun and sure, the shinkansen is fast, but its not worth as much as they make you pay for it. But it did move Kazuomi and I from okayama to tokyo in about 4 hours. that's like going from Seattle, WA to San Francisco, CA in 4 hours! astounding. Upon our arrival in Kyoto we were lured by a taxi driver who wanted to take us to maybe 5 or 6 'shriney' places for a lot less than these other tour services. Anyhow we broke free from his bargaining and found the best way to see a lot of Kyoto was to simply purchase an all-day bus pass for only 500 yen! about $4.50 american. we found our way to the infamous golden temple, walked through the grounds of a huge shogun castle, and went up into the mountains to see a temple with an amazing view of all that is kyoto, and I got to ring the bell and bow!!! yeayyeaeae tourist fun!!! Later in the night we found a nice Izakaya (traditional japanese bar/cafe) and sampled many mushroom and seaweed dishes. We became soooo tired that it was time to find shelter for the evening. Before Kazu and I even left, we had the great idea of staying in a "love" hotel because they are cheaper than other hotels, and it would be really cheesy and funny too!!! BUT, the conservative Japanese idealogy took over and prevented us from renting a room! I was shocked that this old lady told us, "we can't allow to men to stay together." Later we found out that 2 girls would be just fine, but not guys. ridiculous! So we went to the nearest business hotel and shared a room for a little more money. At least we got a good night sleep and a place to take a shower. -------- The next morning we were on the train again to see the island of Shikoku and the region of Kagawa, Japan. This is were Kazu grew to know the world... and eat Udon. Udon is delicious. It is the pasta of japan and I think much much tastier. Born in Kagawa, Udon is just noodles made from flour, water, and sea salt, but the texture and taste are amazing!!! I had the honor of meeting Kazu's family and they were wonderfully amusing. Then one day we went to a temple way way way wya up on a hill that had 1300 or more steps to get there. it was quite a workout!! enjoy the pictures, the movie, and take care of yourselves. love love love, tyler

3 Comments:

Blogger "On Your Left!" said...

Five stars!

Kazu is very photogenic. I loved the scene around the table. Do you remember what the conversation was about? Hope your batteries and charger catch up with you soon!
Is that the temple way way up in the hills with the beautiful trees below it?

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm on a Japan trip!! Thank Kazu for being your guide. Very nice to see his family. The window view from the shinkansen was awesomely fast! It reminds me of old Keystone Cops movies played fast and is quite difficult to see things close, almost hypnotic. As I type there is some rain falling outside, first time in months it seems. Funny about the "love" room. I stayed in such a place.. ALONE.. in Athens Greece one night while I waited for Ken to arrive from England in his car... and it was cheap. (Navy story) All the posts are great! Keep 'em coming as you can. Very nice editing ... I liked the reflection blur that changed to Kazu sliding the glass open! Nice Surprise!
DadDoug

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler,
I only met you a few times in my trip to WA to visit with Seth's family, but seeing your pics, I remember you now : ) Marcia forwarded me this page and I was kinda happy! Seth and I'be been married for three years now, and that's almost how long I haven't visited my hometown. I'm from Yokohama! The China-Town that you visited is a 15-minutes-walk away from my school. Next time you have a relaxed chance to explore that area, try goin up the hill and visit the Gaijin-Bochi (Foreign Cemetary). Founded over a century ago by some missionaries, there are a few International and American schools in that area (I went to St. Maur, class of 95!), that hosted many American kids (and also from all over the world) whos families were stationed in the nearby US bases and soforth. The Cemetary is quite small, but consists of many of the American veterans, families, and residents from that time. There are lots of American-cultured "things" there as well: architecture, coffee houses, cute lamp posts, etc. Just little things that make the area not-so-Japanesey. Then walk towards Motomachi through the big park, down the stairs; on certain seasons, you might catch glimpses of Japanese archery people doing their thing on your way down. Pretty neat.
I got really excited and read all of your entries. They brought back lots of memories from when I lived there; the good, the bad, and all the mundane ones that eventually became little pieces of who I am now. I left home for good when I was 19 for college, and only had the chance to go back three times in the last 10 years. My last visit was almost 4 or 5 years ago for a mere two week trip for the purpose of taking Seth with me there and having him meet dad and my folks. I experienced a counter-culture-shock...So much has changed, and although a part of me was excited to be back and show Seth around, I was also a bit sad to not be able to find some of the little things, places, and stores that were near and dear to me.
I've taken a trip to Kyoto in high school, and I remember the Kiyomizu-Temple! Beautious! If you stay till winter, try visiting Iwate! Snowy scenery is too gorgeous to miss! My grandpa's fam lives there and he's a Bhuddist monk. There's lots of cozy temples there, including my grandpa's. His temple is over 250 years old (with renovations, of course!)!! It's way north on the main island and 3 hours on the Shinkansen from Tokyo station. There are lots of historical places, preserved towns from many centuries ago, and civil war sites that you can visit. Another chance to feel "tall" if you haven't already..ha ha!

Looking forward to reading more of your exciting adventures. Good luck and take care!

Laura the-Japanese-chick-that-joined-the-Foreman-clan Foreman

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home